Online Construction Law Course
The Construction Law course is designed to develop an understanding of contract law as it relates to construction. The participants will build practical skills and learn how to effectively and proactively deal with conflict situations and avoid litigation. The course will also review other construction related law such as builders liens, collecting debts, bonding, insurance, environmental law and safety law.
The course includes 12 video modules with 10 hours of expert instruction and material.
The construction law course online is eligible for 2 CCA Gold Seal education credits upon successful completion and 10 BC Housing CPD credits.
Who is this course for?
The course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators and supervisors.
What does the construction law course cover?
The online construction law course includes training on:
- Understand the Canadian legal system and sources of law
- Understand the basics of contract law – intention, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity and legality
- Be familiar with various CCDC/CCA and other contracts – how and why they are used
- Be familiar with various legal terms used in contracts
- Understand the contract responsibilities of various parties
- Understand the bidding process and contractual obligations
- Understand how specifications and drawings fit within the contractual hierarchy
- Understand the contractual relationship between contractor and sub-contractor
- Compile and submit proper extras and claims
- Define back charges and how to avoid them
- Avoid construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Write professional RFIs and Change Orders
- Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Use the Builder’s Lien Act to obtain security for debts
- Understand how the “holdback system” works and why
- Use the Small Claims process to recover debts
- Understand bonding/surety and how it’s used in construction
- Understand the types of insurance used in construction
- Understand environmental law
- Understand safety law requirements and WC
Download the course details (PDF) or view all of our online construction courses